This past summer I was ready to get to work with my many ideas of how I wanted to update and makeover our spare bedroom, which had turned into a catch-all and storage room. There was no “bedroom-ing” at all happening. My plan included painting, rearranging furniture, and some new furniture and accessory purchases. Having a dresser in the guest bedroom was included in those plans, as it’s convenient to store out-of-season clothes, and also handy for when we really do have guests!

Lucky for me, when I was describing my plans to my sister, she told me that she had a gently loved dresser in her garage that was used in my niece’s room, but that was in need of some TLC. It was mine for the taking if I wanted it… and when I laid eyes on it, I wanted it!

This dresser is solid wood and so well made and in terrific condition on the inside. It just needed some cleaning, sanding and painting to make the outside gorgeous again, and to make it fit into the look I was envisioning in my guest bedroom.

Look at these legs!! (I’m all about great legs…on furniture!)

I debated for a long time on the drawer pulls, and if I wanted to just use the current ones and spray paint them, or if I should patch up the holes and get new pulls. These are lovely pulls, but even after I spray painted them gold, they looked too traditional for what I was going for.

You can see here how the ivory paint was chipped in many spots on the top and front of the dresser.

After removing all four drawer pulls and figuring out what I was going to do with this beauty, I got to work!

This simple wood filler did the trick for filling the holes on each drawer. I made sure to get one that said that it was “paintable and stainable” so that I could be certain it wouldn’t be noticeable after.

And this is what she looks like after 3 weekends of filling all holes, sanding, and painting on three coats of Aspire Mineral Chalk paint in “Innocence” and then three coats of topcoat!

I had visited a sweet shop in town called Whimsical Furnishings to buy the paint and they gave me great information and advice on how best to use the Aspire paint and topcoat to restore my dresser. They also offer furniture painting workshops to help you get started with the Aspire paint, and you can find more information on those on their FaceBook page here.

Next it was time to find the right drawer pulls for the dresser. I knew I wanted something fancy, pretty and sparkly if possible. I had pictured some cute gift shops where I remembered seeing beautiful and different pulls being sold individually. On the way to one of them, I was about to drive by my favourite HomeSense store and thought I should stop in, because…HomeSense! I’m so glad I did!

I found that this location had quite a few different sets of Lily & Leah doorknob pulls, and they were so pretty and so well priced! I actually couldn’t decide between two different styles, so I bought them both! At $14.99 for four pulls, I had no reason not to! So, I left HomeSense quite happy, with two sets of 4 pulls of each style… one was a hexagon mirrored pull, and the other a crystal ball pull (pictured below).

I ended up using the mirrored pulls on the dresser, but kept the crystal ball pulls for another little update I’m working on. These pulls are great for so many pieces of furniture where by just changing up the hardware, you have a whole new look!

BTW…I did actually go to the gift shop I was thinking about just to see if there were any pulls there that I liked better, and I was shocked to find that although their ceramic pulls were pretty and original, they were $12 each!! I needed eight of them for this dresser, so that was way too rich and unnecessary for this project.

And here is the final product after measuring and asking the hubby to drill new holes in the drawers for me…

I love the sparkly mirrored pulls! I really lucked out with those!

The dresser fits in perfectly with the light and bright guest bedroom now.

Here’s a peek at my nearly complete guest bedroom… as soon as I finish getting some artwork up on the walls, I’ll share the before & after of the room with you too!

OKAY, it’s time for a recap! The BEFORE….

….and the AFTER!

This project was so satisfying…this solid wood dresser was free and for the cost of the paint and topcoat ($80) and the new pulls ($30), I was able to make it work perfectly for our guest bedroom.

I hope you enjoyed following along with my DIY dresser makeover project!

xoxo Nydia

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

%d bloggers like this: